The Mother Road

After the last book completely gutted me I was on the hunt for something a little more upbeat, something to make me laugh, and something to take my mind off the devastation that happened to me in the last read. And oh man did I find it. 


First off I'm in love with this cover. Currently have the actual book in my Amazon cart, because this is everything

This story is about Marley. She is a beauty blogger living in California, who is about to embark on a road trip with her dad and brother to honor their mother who recently passed. It's the road trip their mother always wanted to take, so they are taking it in the days before her brother Paul gets married. At the start of the trip they pick up Paul's best friend, and love of Marley's life, Porter. Porter and Marley have a bit of a rough past given that he broke her heart back when she was 18, and she hasn't forgiven him for it. This road trip is full of hilarious pranks, some steamy scenes, and a lot of laughter. I seriously laughed out loud while reading this so many times, and cried while laughing on more than one occasion. 

"There comes a time in a girl's life when she has to reach deep down into her soul, clear the pathways of her inner goddess, and let out her nuclear Satan. You know what I'm talking about. The Crazy."

Marley was a TOP NOTCH book character. Hands down, so relatable. I waned to be her best friend. She was hilarious, awkward, and just every girl embarrassing herself in front of the guy she likes. She had a smart mouth, and she didn't put up with any bull. I absolutely adored her. She put up with her family's shenanigans like a champ. The scenes between her and Paul were hilarious. Some of the funniest writing I have ever come across. 

"I want to kick the arrogance right off his face with a snaggle foot...right after I lick his entire body and pee around him so everyone know he's mine."

Oh, Porter. He was such a manly man. The way he was described made it seem like he was sitting next to me, smelling all outdoorsy and shit. I felt like he probably looked like a big teddy bear, but a teddy bear that looks like Henry Cavill. :) He was so sweet, and kind hearted. You could tell he loved Marley with everything he had, but was struggling with his feelings because of Paul and their dad. He didn't want anyone to feel disrespected, so he put his feelings aside for everyone else. I loved him. What a freaking catch, total 10 in the book boyfriend department. 

"The thought of having beard burn all over my body is tempting, and like the fool I am, I can feel the words on the tip of my tongue, asking him to motorboat me with his scruff. I convince myself it's the hot dog talking." 


All of the other characters in this book were freaking amazing. Marissa, Marley's best friend, Bernie, her dad, Paul, her brother, Savannah, her sister-in law, all some pretty fantastic book characters. I want to be in this book and meet these people. The one liners in this book were gold. I wish they would turn this into a movie or something. I don't remember the last time a book had me in tears because I was laughing so hard. When you pick up this book some scenes you need to watch for are Marissa and Marley in the yoga studio, both bodily function scenes in the RV, when Marley throws poppers at Paul while their sitting around the fire, and finally the closet story from Paul and Marley's childhood. Seriously, comedy gold. I will probably skim back through the book just to re-read these scenes and laugh again. 

"Porter has enriched my life and taught me how love isn't just about living your life with another person. Like my mom said, it's about fusing your soul with another."

While this book was hysterical, it definitely still had it's sweet moments. Watching the love between Marley and Porter bloom was pretty magical, and reading their sweet memories about their mom was beautiful. I especially loved the letters at the end of the book, I thought that added a sweet touch to the book. And I was very pleased with the ending. 

Overall, I'm obviously giving this one 5 STARS. So freaking good. It had literally everything you need in an excellent romantic comedy. It had the comedy, it had the heat, and it had the romance. I am not surprised, because I LOVE Meghan Quinn. Her books are gold, and your missing out if you haven't picked one up. 


*All graphics found through a google search*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup