When Forever Changes

There were SO many good things said about this one I really couldn't wait to dive in! I'm so disappointed that I didn't love it. I don't feel like this is a case of bad writing, or even a bad story. I just didn't connect, and it just wasn't for me. This was definitely a case of it's not the book, it's me


"Trust and respect are vital in any relationship. If you don't have that with Dylan anymore, than you don't have a future. But you still have a past with him. And don't let what happens from this point on tarnish those memories because they are a big part of who you are."

This story is about a young girl named Gabby. In the beginning of the story she is madly in love with her long time boyfriend Dylan. She seemingly has the perfect life, a close bond with her parents and brothers, a supportive best friend, and an amazing boyfriend. Something happens that rocks Gabby to the core, and her life changes forever. The unthinkable happens, and she doesn't feel like she will ever get over it. Happiness shows up in an unexpected place, only for more hardships to be thrown her way. I can't go into too much detail without giving away a lot of the story. 

"I don't hate you, Belle." His voice is quieter, more composed. "I could never hate you. Not when I love you so fucking much."

Okay, let me start this by saying I did not care for Gabby. In so many of the situations I felt like she behaved like a child. She strung people around, had a wishy washy personality, and never made any solid decisions. This story does have a love triangle of some sort, and she just flip flopped around with both guys, and it was just exhausting. 

At the start of the story I did not like Dylan, at all. I knew from the moment he was introduced into the book that I wasn't going to like him. A little bit later into the book the author tries to bring him back into the story and redeem him, but even then I couldn't like him. I understand he was going through some pretty serious stuff, but to me he just seemed selfish. I just could never get on board with him. 

Slater was the best part of this book. He was a great character, he had potential to be an amazing book boyfriend, but I did not like how Gabby treated him. I kind of felt like she played with his emotions, and I thought he deserved better than that. He was nothing but fantastic to her, and she treated him like absolute garbage. 



There were some things that happened in the book that made it hard for me to like it. Gabby had this like wide variety of emotions, constantly. One chapter she loved Dylan, the next it was Slater. She wasn't even with Dylan anymore, was clearly in love with Slater, but still wouldn't do anything about it, because she felt like she was cheating on Dylan? I couldn't keep up with her, and frankly it was exhausting trying to figure her out. I wanted to reach into the book, shake her, and tell her to grow up and act like an adult. There was a part towards the end of the book when two of the characters were trying to remain abstinent and take their relationship slow, and then Gabby has thoughts like this.. "I feel a subtle shift in the air, and I sense he's happier and less troubled by concerns, but he still hasn't initiated sex. Things are progressing, and we make out like bandits at any chance we can get. We also enjoy regular oral sex, and I can't say he isn't looking after my needs, but he still seems reluctant to bridge that final gap." I mean, really? 

It almost felt like none of these characters could get their shit together, and sometimes I wondered if the author even knew what direction she was taking this in. I think the story line was interesting, and it had potential to be SO good, but there was so much emphasis put on having that angst in the book that the story kind of got lost along the way. If you like steamy (and I mean steamy as in very details sex scenes) and angst filled books, filled with drama this is definitely the book for you. 

Overall, I'm giving this book 2.5 STARS. I liked the story line, I imagine without so much drama and sex it really could have been a fantastic story. I wish the author would have focused a little more on the story and a little less on the angst. 

*all images found through a google search*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup