Choosing Us

This was my first book by M. Robinson. I've been following her on Instagram for a while, and had this book on my Kindle for a while, but never opened it. It came highly recommended and that usually scares me. Sometimes I don't love books as much as everyone else, and I hate that. I've been kind of reading this one in between several others, and today I gave it the one on one time it deserved. It was a beautiful story. Beautiful, but very confusing. So confusing, in fact, that it ended on a cliffhanger, and the second book just came out, I one clicked that and read 3 chapters already before I decided I should stop and write my review. 



"What do you do when you meet your soulmate at seven-years-old? You give..You live..And you love..Together. Forever. To have and to hold. Until you hear the words, "I just don't love you anymore." Putting an end to me. To You. To Us. Contemporary Romance Duet: Book 1"

"I choose us Bailey Pierce. I will always choose us. No matter what. I. Choose. Us."

As you can see the blurb for this one is pretty vague. I wasn't really sure what I was getting into when I started it. And I'm not going to sit here and lie and say I didn't finish it with more questions than answers. I am so confused. I have no idea what's going on. I'm sure that's the idea, to draw the reader in, keep them wanting more. If that was what she was going for, it worked with me. 

The story switches between the past, and the love story of Aiden and Bailey. It shows you the hardships they faced as kids,and how their love blossomed. Then it switches to the now to their nanny Camilia. This is when I was confused. I wasn't sure how Camilia fit into the story, I didn't know where Aiden and Bailey were, or what happened to them. Camilia and the couples baby Journey bond right away, Journey loves her and they spend a lot of time together. Jackson and Jagger, the two boys, are a little harder to crack. Jackson especially, he gives Camilia a really hard time, pushing and pushing at her trying to get her to quit. It's made clear that Aiden is a doctor, and spends all his time at the hospital, but you never find out where Bailey is. Sometimes it's insinuated that Baily is dead, but then other times it is made to seem like she has taken off and abandoned her family. 

"It's you and me against the world, baby. It's always been you and me against the world. You know that, Bay. You do. Just come back to me..please. I can't live, I can't breathe..I can't go on without you."

I loved Camilia. She was so fierce. She was independent, she worked hard for everything she had. I loved how she just immediately connected with Journey, and that she didn't give up on the kids even when Jackson was doing everything he could to try and get her to leave. She was so compassionate, and passionate. She was so frustrated that she had spent months at this home and never once saw or heard anything from the parents. And I'm not going to lie, I was so frustrated that every time she went to ask someone where Bailey was she got interrupted. I was about to throw my phone across the room and give up. And let me tell you, I finished the book and I still don't know. I. STILL. DON'T. KNOW. I'm going crazy. 

"Your the beat in my heart, the blood running through my veins..I can't promise you that tomorrow will be easy, or that there aren't rough roads ahead, but I can promise you that I will forever be there with you, standing beside you, holding your hand, loving you with everything that I am. I thank God every day for the gift that is you."

I have to say that when Aiden finally came into the picture, at the end of the book, I didn't like him. I can tell he is in anguish, that something has happened and he is completely broken and devastated, but I hated the way he talked to and treated Camilia. I was gathering at the end that he was sometimes confusing who he was lashing out at. I think at some point he thought he was talking to Bailey, when really it was Camilia on the receiving end. I'm hoping book two answers all the questions I have, and we get to know a little more about Aiden as the adult, rather than Aiden as the young boy. 

Overall I'm giving this one 4 STARS. The only reason I'm not giving a 5 star review here is because I was so frustrated. I just wanted some peace of mind, some answers, something. I'm more confused now that the book is over than I was when it started. This is the first time in a long time I finished a book from a duet or series and had absolutely no idea where the author was going with the story. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup