Undeniable

I found this book all over Instagram. All the book people I follow were sharing it, and the blurb seemed interesting so I was excited to start! I needed a quick and easy read in between ARC's and this was just the read for that. 



"When we were eleven, Oliver Ford Pemberton dared me to jump off a barn roof. He said you couldn't break a leg from a 12-foot-jump. He lied. (You can also break a collarbone, which served him right as far as I was concerned.) I wish I could say it was the last dare I ever took from him, the last bet I ever made with him, the last time I ever trusted Oliver Ford Pemberton. But it wasn't. Because he had the nerve to grow up gorgeous, charming, and sexy. And as we got older, the dares only got dirtier- and the betting stakes higher- until finally, he left me in pieces. I swore I'd never talk to him again. But twenty year after I took that flying leap, he's back in my life, daring me to risk everything for him: my job, my self-worth, and my heart. How many chances does love deserve?"

"Oliver is my best friend's son," my mother said to Mack with fondness in her voice." And he's so charming." "So was Ted Bundy," I reminded her. 

I think this story had the potential to be so good, but there were just a few things that didn't add up for me. We were meant to believe that they were childhood best friends, but I didn't get that vibe. It seemed to me that they hated each other, when they were older the hate turned into attraction, but they rarely did anything about it, and then they would go years at a time without even talking. 

I liked Chloe. She had spunk, she was independent. She was a successful woman and she had dreams that she was working very hard to achieve. She felt resentment towards Oliver over some things that happened years ago. I felt like sometimes she acted like a child, especially when Oliver was involved. I also didn't like that she claimed she hated him so much, and how she wasn't going to give him anymore chances, but yet as soon as she showed up her guard went down. I was supposed to believe she was this strong woman, but yet she continued to let Oliver sting her along, it got a little frustrating. 

1. Oliver Ford Pemberton could not be trusted. 
2. I could not be trusted around Oliver Ford Pemberton.

I didn't like Oliver AT ALL. This is the first time in a long time that I wasn't a fan of the "book boyfriend" in a book I was reading. I felt like he was a liar, and he never really did anything to redeem himself. He did a lot of questionable things, and Chloe would just forgive him right away. I don't know if everything happened to fast in the end or what, but it just seemed like for what he did he was forgiven pretty easily. 

I didn't love this one as much as I wanted to, I think it had the potential to be pretty good, but some of it was a little rushed. I liked that it went back and forth between the past and the present, that gave you a little insight into their background, but then I think that might have been why the present seemed to move too fast. I didn't connect well with the characters, Chloe aggravated me, because the way she acted with Oliver didn't really fit into what you were expecting with her personality. And I didn't like Oliver at all. 

Overall, I'm giving this story 3 STARS. It wasn't a bad book, it was a quick and easy read, I just didn't care for the characters like I thought I would. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup