Violent Ends

I know what your thinking. In my last review I said I wouldn’t be writing anymore until I was back from vacation, and here I am. I couldn’t help myself. I’ve been waiting on Jessica Hawkins to release book 2 in this series and I couldn’t wait to start on it. Once I started, I couldn’t put it down. A romance book with suspense and mystery just hooks me in so quick! This is book 2 in a 3 book series, my review for book 1 can be found here https://njpennybookreviews.blogspot.com/2019/03/violent-delights.html?m=1 and book 3 is set to release in November. 

"Because you're no longer someone's sweet, pure, naïve princesa. You don't live in the ivory tower anymore. You own it. You're going to learn to rule from it, because that's what it means to be Calavera royalty."



"I had a life, love, and future to give. Until my enemy took a wife. The devil has a name, and it's Cristiano de la Rosa. On my wedding day, he was the last man I expected to see standing at the altar. He wants to make me his queen. His brother wants to rescue his princess. Getting Cristiano to lose control becomes the name of the game, and the stakes are life and death. But as truth and lies blur, loyalty is tested, and our chemistry threatens to reach the melting point, the prize grows less clear. Either freedom no longer means what I think it does, or Cristiano is as devious as everyone says, and he's mastered the art of playing my mind. All I know for certain is that nothing is certain. And all you need to know? This is a love story. But even loves stories have to end."

There are going to be a few spoilers in this review, nothing major, but a couple things have to be talked about that you wouldn’t understand unless you read book 1. This story picks up right where Violent Delights ended. Natalia is now married, and to say she is unhappy about it would be an understatement. For me, as the reader, I see a side to Cristiano that she doesn’t so I am on his side. I also see Diego for what he is, while she is still blind to that. I actually loved book 1, but I loved this one even more. 

Natalia was so much better in this book than she was in the first one. She grew a backbone, she started listening to herself rather than what other people had told her, and she realized that at the moment the only person she could really trust was her. She grew up in this book. She saw people for what they really were, and she decided she wasn’t going to take any crap from anyone. There were still a couple times that I just wanted to shake her and scream “OPEN YOUR EYES WOMAN!” I was overall happy with her character growth though, it was much needed. 

"For every door she slammed, I would open another. I'd pursue her. I'd break down that defiance until I found myself in her sweet core. She would cross over into the darkness. And I'd be waiting with open arms."

I still dislike Diego. I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why girls online are like #teamdiego he felt shady to me from the start, and did absolutely nothing to redeem himself in this book. 

Cristiano...the ultimate bad boy. OMG Jessica couldn’t have written a better anti hero for a story like this. He is everything. He is controlling, cryptic, devastatingly handsome, and calculating. The way he talks to Natalia drives me crazy, and not in a bad way. He has such a filthy mouth, but it feels like it’s okay coming from him. He is fiercely protective and would do anything for those he loves. I can’t wait for Natalia to finally get her head out of her ass and see what’s right in front of her. 

"I never needed you." The cutting words snipped at my already short wick. "Then why am I here?" I retorted. "Because I wanted you."

The sexual tension in this book is OFF. THE. CHARTS. Holy cow. All this pent up frustration between these two feels like it will explode at any minute, and I’m so ready for it to happen. I didn’t know it Was possible for a book to have so much pent up sexual tension and then never give you any relief from it! Holy smokes, who knows what’s going to happen in book 3. 

I loved that I got so many answers to questions I had in book 1 with this book. I felt like I was given information, but not too much that it made the story drag on. This one ends in a HORRIBLE cliffhanger, so be warned about that. I don’t mind that sometimes though, because it just keeps the story fresh in my mind and keeps me wanting more. I can’t wait until November! 

Overall, I’m giving this one 5 STARS! Book 1 was also a 5 star read, but I liked this one even more! It had angst, sexual tension, suspense, and it kept me on the edge of my seat! I can’t wait to see how this series ends!! Bravo Jessica! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup