One Little Lie

I did not even read the blurb for this book before I downloaded it. I downloaded it solely based off the cover. The cover is beautiful, it was intriguing, and I didn't care what the book was about I just wanted to read it. I loved this story. This just goes to show you that sometimes you can pick a book based off the cover. 



"Adam Oliver hated me. Loathed my very existence. He had every right to, but that didn't make my life any easier the afternoon I had to rescue him on the side of the road. But worse than rescuing a guy who hated me to his core was the lie I told my parents. Because I'd just told them that my long-term boyfriend was finally back in town. My long-term boyfriend who didn't actually exist. The one named Adam Oliver- the guy I'd crushed on all through high school. So the real Adam had no idea that he and I were engaged in a years-long, committed, serious relationship. And, somehow, some way, I needed convice him to play along with my one little lie."

"I mean that I've been bullied in my life. I don't let it bug me too bad, but when you're silent while witnessing that kind of behavior, you're no better than the ones doing the bullying. Silence makes you complicit. 

This book was so good. I loooved Adam, and I wasn't sure about Hollis at first, but I definitely ended up loving her by the end of the story. Adam hated Hollis, but it was all mostly because of some miscommunication, and because Hollis hadn't found her voice.

Hollis tended to let people walk all over her. This all stemmed from her parents, and they way they treated her and her sisters. She also had a problem with speaking up for herself and others, and never telling people no. I was aggravated with her at first, I just wanted to shake her and tell her to wake up and take a stand, and then as the story went on I realized I was Hollis, when I was young, I didn't tell people no, I didn't stand up for people, and I didn't stand up for myself. She had a lot of character growth in the story, and actually there is a scene at her parents house that I loved, she finally got that back bone. 

I flipping loved Adam. He was so angry. He was angry at his life, at the people in his life, and about how nothing was working out for him. But he was a fantastic guy. He gave up his dreams and he gave up his life for his sister and I loved that. He cared so deeply for people, but he struggled with figuring out how to let them know what his feelings were. Watching him fall for Hollis was beautiful and heartbreaking. He didn't want to fall for her, he denied his feelings forever, and when he finally realized it was happening it was very eye opening for him. 

"Did something just change between us? He waited a long beat before reelings. "Not something, everything."

Their romance was a slow slow burn. I love an "enemies to lovers" romance, because it's always fun to see how the character reacts when they realize their feelings have changed. I like to watch that hatred turn into something more, something deeper. Whitney did a fantastic job of weaving these two people together so perfectly. I believed that Adam loathed her, and I believed that she had been in love with him all this time. Watching Adam realize his feelings was the best part of this book. 

"Trust me when I say that anytime I touch you, it's for me. Or for you. It's never been about them, not for me."

All of the side characters in this book were fabulous also! They had the best friends. The banter between characters was fantastic, and I loved Adam's little sister. I don't know if the author plans to do any more books about these characters, but there were definitely several that had potential. 

Overall, I'm giving this book 5 STARS. It hooked me right from the start, and I instantly wanted more. I couldn't put the book down, and I really enjoyed watching these characters grow and interact with each other. Whitney did a fabulous job with this one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup