Hated You Then (Love Hurts, #1)



"I couldn't remember a time before her..Harley Jameson. Before she owned me. Hated me. Needed me. Before I hated her..Things were simple. We had an understanding. Bully. Fight. Hate. That's what we did. Mind. Body. Soul. It's how we loved. I thought nothing would ever change that, until everything did. She was mine. Always had been. Always would be. Nothing altered that. Not how much I hated her. Not how much she hated me. Especially, not how much I hated...That I LOVED her."



I received an ARC of this book from the author, for my honest review. I have been dying to read Jackson & Harley's story. I was so excited to get the email that I was getting an early read, I knew Monica would deliver, and I was right. 

Her words meant nothing to me. She meant nothing to me. People couldn't hurt you unless you let them, and I would never let her get to me. She was just the girl..I hated. 

I hated Jackson, but he was my boy to hate. All mine. 

I read the Pierced Hearts Duet before this one, so I knew a tiny bit of Jackson and Harley's story before I started this book. I haven't read all the books before these, but I do plan to. I loved Jackson's character in the other duet, I could tell he was misunderstood, angry, and that his story was something I couldn't wait to read. I wanted inside of his head, I wanted to see how he became who he was in his father's story. Jackson has trouble expressing his feelings, he has trouble loving people, and he has trouble letting people in. There are things leading up to this shift in his personality, but you need to read the book to find that out. He was so angry at the world, at his family, just at everyone and everything, his favorite person to take his frustrations out on was Harley. 




I loved Harley, like I cannot WAIT to get to book 2 to see what kind of woman she becomes. She was an absolute spit fire in this book. She is sassy, doesn't take any crap from anyone, and isn't afraid to tell you exactly how she feels. It is always SO refreshing to have a female character that doesn't back down from a fight. I am so excited to see how she grows, and what life has in store for her. 

I didn't know what the hell was happening to me. What was going on with me, but in that moment, in that second, I wanted to steal her happiness away. I wanted it to be mine. It was just another thing that belonged to me. All of her. Mine. 

I knew right away after starting this book, that I was already dying to get my hands on book 2. I loved this in depth look at their childhood. I loved watching their relationship progress as the years went on. I absolutely cannot wait to see what happens as their older. This story was touching, it was funny, and it had me in tears. It was painfully obvious to everyone but the two of them, that they are in love with each other. I can't wait to find out where their story goes, and if these two can get over some of the things that have happened and end up together, or if they were never meant to be to begin with.


The older I got, the more I realized who I wanted to share my happily every after with. Except, it wouldn't be easy. It never was with him. I hated him. I loved him. I wanted him to be mine. But maybe, just maybe..he always was. 

Monica knows how to deliver an emotional book. She can make you feel the pain the characters are feeling, she can make you smile with them, laugh with them, and cry with them. Even having read the Pierced Hearts Duet and having an idea of what to expect this book still got to me. It still felt like Monica gave me a sucker punch to the gut. I fully expect her to completely ruin me with book 2, and I honestly can't wait. 

Overall, no doubt, I'm giving this one 5 STARS. I love Jackson and Harley, and I know they have much more anguish in store for me in the next book, and I can't wait. I can't wait to be emotionally wrecked and ruined. It was nice that this was a little sneak preview of the pain that I'm sure is to come. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup