The Quiet You Carry

Here we go, my first book review, well my first book review for my blog anyway. 

This review is for the book The Quiet You Carry by Nikki Barthelmess. I was given an advanced copy of this book from Netgalley for my honest review. 

"But none of us can understand what's going on in another person's life from the outside looking in. No one can really see the quiet you carry, unless you let them."

The book starts off with Victoria, a young girl, in her house talking to a woman from Child Protective Services. You find out they have been called by a police officer because Victoria has been locked outside of her house in the freezing cold in the early hours of the morning. The officer asks her if she wants to press chargers against her dad and she insists that nothing happened and that is not necessary. You don't find out what happens to get to this point until much later in the book, but throughout you can pretty much figure it out on your own. 

Victoria gets put in a foster care home, with a woman named Connie, who at first seems like she is just in it for a paycheck. The home is over crowded and it feels as if the foster children she has are slaves for her and her daughter. You will later find out there is more than meets the eye in this situation, and actually by the end of the book I had a whole new respect for Connie and her story. 

Victoria tries hard to stay invisible at her new school, her main goal is to graduate, get to college, and make sure her stepsister Sarah is safe. She soon finds out she can't stay hidden and makes friends with a girl named Christina and a boy named Kale. These two are great characters in the book. 

Without giving too much away, Victoria has a really hard time adjusting, she has a hard time coming to terms with what happened to her, and she has a hard time facing reality. It takes her time, but she does show a lot of growth through the story, and actually becomes a really strong, great lead character. I will say there is one scene between her and her foster mother Connie that is top notch. It had me in tears, and I am so happy it was in the book. I think that was a turning point for Victoria. 

The book does give you some closure, but I also feel like it doesn't give too much away so that the author could continue and make this a series if she wanted to. 

Overall, I gave the book 4 stars. The only thing keeping it from a 5 star rating for me was that there was no epilogue, and I just really wanted to know where the characters ended up in the future, but like I said this could be because she is planning to revisit them in a second book. I loved that this wasn't your normal romantic YA book. It had depth, the characters showed growth, and the tiny bit of romance was put on the back burner so the main character could really grow and come to terms with what had happened to her. 


Other books I have read this week that come highly recommended...

Angels of Belle Meade-Lindsey Iler

You'd Be Mine- Erin Hahn

Verity- Colleen Hoover

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup