All The Little Lights

This was a pretty easy book to read, I think because it had the whole air of mystery surrounding it. I've been really lucky lately that I have been able to find the time to knock so many books out! 

                                            All The Little Lights by Jamie McGuire

A couple different things drew me to this book. First of all I love Jamie McGuire. Beautiful Disaster is one of my favorite books. And second this cover is so beautiful. I really enjoyed the book. I thought there were a few parts that seemed a little slow, but overall it was a great read. They mystery really drew me in. 

"My Uncle John says people can only make us angry if we let them, and if we let them, we give them power." 

The story starts with Elliot in a tree, with a camera he got from his aunt. He sees a girl and her dad burying a pet in the yard and he can't peel his eyes away. He thinks the girl is beautiful and he wants to know everything about her. He finds out from his aunt and uncle that the family is a little strange, and usually the topic of conversation around town. Elliot and Catherine finally get the opportunity to speak, and they click right away. He becomes a friend for her, and in this small town she really needs one. The "mean girls" are relentless with her. The bullying and racism in this story is harsh. I could just feel myself feeling sorry for the characters through the pages. I could tell that she felt like Elliot was a savior in a way, like he could be that strong presence that she needed in her life. 

A tragedy happens to Catherine at the end of the summer, and situations beyond Elliot's control cause him to leave town, and make Catherine feel abandoned at a time she needed someone the most. She is left to navigate high school on her own, and meanwhile unknown to her Elliot is trying desperately to make his way back to their small town. When he finally is able to return, their senior year, they are totally different people. Catherine seems even more withdrawn, and Elliot is a star quarterback. He doesn't give up home that he and Catherine will be together, and she is trying desperately to keep him at arms length so he won't find out what is happening in her house. While she is struggling to hide what is going on in her life, Elliot struggles with being named a suspect in a local tragedy. While both of them are going through so much they still find the strength to be there for each other. 

"He was different- more than just odd- but he had found me. And for the moment, I liked not feeling lost." 

This book is REALLY hard to review without giving away any spoilers. I'm not going to lie I desperately tried to find a spoiler online to find out what was going on in the house Catherine was living in. Thankfully, I didn't find any, because trust me when I say you want to go into this book blind. I will say Catherine's home has been turned into a family owned bed and breakfast while Elliot has been away, and the people staying there are interesting to say the least. You definitely know something fishy is going on by the way Catherine acts and how she desperately tries to keep everyone out, but I will tell you I had NO idea what going on until the end. It was not at all what I was expecting. 

I thought about halfway through the book it seemed a little drawn out, it maybe could have been about 100 less pages than what it was, and still told the same story. The mystery surrounding Catherine kept me intrigued, so the drawn out parts didn't bother me near as much as they might have. 

"You are in control of your emotions. You're in control of your reaction. You can, at any time, change the way you feel."

I thought Catherine was a strange character. She was definitely timid and quiet, but once everything unravels at the end of the book you can definitely see why she was the way that she was. She had a lot of growth throughout the book, and at the end you see her make a huge decision to help the people she loves, and I think that showed true character growth for her. I thought Elliot was a fantastic character. He loved fiercely, and he was very loyal to his family and friends. He stood up for the people he loved and he wasn't one to back down from a fight. He was the perfect match for Catherine, because she needed someone to take care of her. 

Overall I am giving this book 4 STARS. I thought it was a fantastic mystery book, it even felt suspenseful at times. The moment everything was explained was jaw dropping to me because it was not at all any of the theories I already had going in my head. This one is definitely worth the read, especially if you like a good mystery. And trust me when I say to go into it blind, you won't be disappointed! The only thing keeping it from 5 stars for me is that I just wish it was a little bit shorter. 

                                           Graphic found online by Unknown 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup