Tell Me Something Real

I was looking for an emotional read with the book before this, and while The Memory Book was pretty emotional it was nothing like this one. I found this book randomly while searching through Kindle Unlimited books, and I am so glad I did. This book was everything. And I ugly cried myself all the way through the last few chapters. 

"It took one move, one Podunk town-shit, one girl- to realize that we're all just people. Rich, poor, talented,awkward-we're all just people, trying to survive the world that seems hell bent on trying to ruin us before we can find our place."




This story is about Ford, a spoiled rich boy, who is forced to move to the farm and finish off his Senior year living with his grandparents after an accident that embarrassed his dad, and threatened to tarnish his dad's upstanding reputation. Ford is a tough guy, who really doesn't give a shit about anyone or anything, and just wants to get this "punishment" over with. There, he starts off on the wrong foot with his cousin Colt, and Colt's best friend Lincoln. Colt is mad at the world, doesn't really want to let any newcomers into his life, especially not a spoiled rich cousin that he has no desire to get to know. Lincoln is a little more welcoming, she likes to banter back and forth with Ford, and Ford soon realizes she is a little more than meets the eye. Lincoln has type 1 diabetes. She struggles with letting people help her out too much, and she kind of rebels and does things she knows she shouldn't just to prove to people that she is in charge of her own life. Lincoln is poor, and her mom has no desire to take care of her or provide her with the things she needs to stay healthy. You find out that Colt and his grandparents have basically been helping her survive and get the things she needs to keep her health under control. It feels like as Ford and Lincolns relationship blossoms, Colt retreats into himself and distances himself from those around him. The outcome in the store came unexpectedly to me, and it was seriously heartbreaking. 

"Pain exists everywhere- zip code and status can't protect people from pain or fear."



I loved watching Lincoln and Ford's love story unfold. They both had stubborn personalities, and when they realized their feelings for each other it was like life stopped. They were exactly what the other needed, and they didn't even realize it. I also enjoyed watching Ford and Colt develop a friendship. It took a while, it took a lot of fists, and it took a lot of name calling, but eventually they became pretty close. Colt was looking for someone that he knew would love Lincoln like he couldn't, someone that would take care of her, and he found that in Ford. 

The characters in this book were fantastic. You had the quiet and brooding Ford. You had Lincoln who was stronger than she even knew, and didn't want anyone to think of her as weak. Colt was a little lost, but he was a fierce and loyal friend to those around him. The three of them together had a pretty tight knit friendship. While they didn't always see eye to eye they were there for each other in ways that others around them couldn't even begin to understand.


"Pain like this is life. It's what makes the good parts so great. I hate that balance. Hate that in order for there to be greatness, there has to be sacrifice; in order for there to be light, there has to be dark; in order for there to be love, there has to be hate and destruction."

The end of this book was very hard. Very hard to read, very hard to comprehend. After reading I could see the signs from the very beginning on what was going to happen, but I just didn't realize it as the story was progressing. I was heartbroken, I was mad, I think I went through all the emotions the characters went through. This was a very hard read, but a very fantastic one. I am so glad I came across this book, it was everything I needed to read at this moment.

"You saved me, Lincoln. At a time when I was sinking, you showed me the surface and brought me into a world that's real- one that has both pain and joy, success and suffering, love and hate. Life and death." 

Overall, I'm giving this book 5 STARS. I had to. There is no other rating it could have gotten. This was a beautiful story about pain, loss, and love. It was told in a way that made you feel like these characters were your family and friends. I will definitely look into this author and seek out more of her books. Definitely worth the read. 



*All graphics were found through a google search online*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup