The Memory Book

I've been reading so many mysteries, hot and steamy books, and funny books. Sometimes I just like a good cry when I read a book, so I was on the hunt for one. Do any of you have any good emotional reads? Those are my favorite, sometimes it's a good stress relief just to get a good cry out. 


                                              The Memory Book by Lara Avery

"Stuart- What are you up to these days? Your debating in one of the most prestigious competitions in the country, right? Sammie- No. No I'm not. Stuart- Oh really? What a shame. What are you doing instead? Sammie- Oh, just, you know, diseasin'. Diseasin' around."

This book was about Sammie, a high school senior, who has an incurable disease. Her disease is a genetic disorder that starts with memory loss, and then takes over her body. Sammie is a tough girl, I do feel like she is in a bit of denial about her disease at first though. She is on the high school debate team, and she is worried that her memory will go before she can finish out the year with debate. She has big plans to go to New York for college, and live a life she has always dreamed of. What she doesn't plan for is for her memory to go sooner than expected, and her health to decline. This story shows you the growth of Sammie as she finally comes to terms with what is happening to her and how it is affecting those around her. It really was a heartwarming story.

"If you don't believe the future is going to be better, then you won't take action to make it better. It sounds cheesy, but there's another word for cheesy: it's called sincerity." 

I really enjoyed every character in this book. Her family was supportive of her, and let her enjoy her senior year. Her friend Maddie was a great character, even after finding out that Sammie had been keeping her disease from her. Cooper, Sammie's friend from childhood, was my favorite character. He had this I don't care attitude, but you could clearly tell he loved Sammie and cared deeply about her. I even liked her first love Stuart. He was very supportive of her, even when he didn't have to be. She had a great support system surrounding her. 

"But the more you win, the more people you might have to beat out, or have to leave behind, the smaller your world becomes."

This wasn't a huge emotionally charged book for me, I think I found it more humorous than anything. Sammie had a great sense of humor about what was going on with her. There were some spots at the end, that my heart really felt like it was breaking for her. I did shed some tears, but nothing to serious. This was a great read. 

Overall I'm giving this one 4 stars. I didn't go for the full 5, because it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time. Her journey was heartbreaking, and it was a great story, so I do recommend you giving it a shot! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup