Confess

When I was looking for a new book to read this one jumped out at me. The cover is beautiful, and it sounded like a really interesting story. It wasn’t anything like I expected it to be, so I was pretty disappointed. I was definitely in the minority with this one, it came very highly rated. 



This story is about a con artist named Gypsy. She is pretty content in her life of crime, and enjoys her lifestyle. She is approached one day by an attorney named Lucian. He is known for his high profile cases that he defends the “bad guys.” He blackmails her into a marriage, and I honestly still don't understand his whole reasoning for that.  

I did not like any characters in this book. Gypsy was a brat, she complained about everything, and she was just an all around pretty terrible person. Lucian was messed up. He was a crazy person, there is really no better way to describe him. Gypsy's sister, Birdie, was worse than Gypsy, she didn't show any appreciation for anything Gypsy had done for her, and she did exactly the opposite of any advice she was given. 

“Then I assume you are ready for your punishment?” I expected a fight from her, but she just nodded. “I knew it was coming, so yeah.” “You can go sit in the corner and think about your actions,” I told her. “Seriously?” She arched a brow at me. “Like I’m five?” “Until you can learn to act like a mature adult, you’ll be treated accordingly.”

This book gave me 50 Shades feels. I did not like those books. I read them, but they weren’t great. This one kind of felt like the author took pieces of those books to make her own. Lucian CONSTANTLY called her pet and it absolutely drove me crazy. It was so gross. I’m not big on books with sex scenes that involve someone being dominate and someone being submissive, and I was unaware that’s how this book was until I was already pretty far into the book. I did not feel ANY chemistry between these two at all so none of it was believable for me. 

"From now on," he recited as I scratched the words into the paper, "I will be a good girl and do what Lucian says."

"Because you misbehaved, and it needs to be corrected." 

The only thing that saved this book for me was the bit of mystery about the last 25% of the book. The action picked up and it had a little suspense that kept me guessing. I didn’t like the characters, I didn’t like allll the sex, but the suspense helped redeem the book to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a book with sex in it, but this book felt like it was overloaded, and I just wasn't feeling it at all. 

I kind of felt like the author wrote this whole book where you were pretty disgusted with Lucian, she made it hard to find any good qualities in him, but then like the second half she tried to turn him around and make you feel something for him. It just didn’t work for me. I didn’t like the way he talked to anyone, but especially Gypsy. He treated her like a child, but it was like she enjoyed it? 

Overall, I’m giving this book 2 STARS. The last 20% of the book kept it from getting that one star review from me. I was just not into it. Their chemistry wasn’t believable, and it just wasn’t what I thought it was going to be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup