That Guy

I know what your probably thinking, how is she writing ANOTHER review, only one day after the last one..wellll when the boyfriend plays a video game I take the opportunity to read. This book was such an easy read I was already 70% done by the time I went to bed last night. 


"But he missed out on all my fabulousness and chose to only acknowledge the bad things- like me breaking into his apartment and putting a bag of dog shit on his counter. So the only thing Jake Swagger might do for me is send his lawyer down here to press charges. He'd make sure I lived out my final moments with Big Bertha who will no doubt sit on me and breathe in my face until I die a slow, agonizing death."

This book was about Penelope Hart. She is an author who has made the trip to Chicago from Mississippi to seek revenge on her best friend's ex boyfriend. The book starts with her running down the streets of Chicago with a bag of dog crap, and after several shenanigans ensue she ends up in the penthouse of Jake Swagger. She decides the he is "that guy" that she wants to use as her muse for her next book, much to his dismay. 

"He nods slowly as if he just remembered I'm a published author with four thousand followers and eighty-three reviews on Goodreads. Four-star average, thank you very much."

Penelope was hilarious. She was so awkward, maybe one of the most awkward heroines I've found in a book in a long long time. About 90% of the time she was thinking the most ridiculous and embarrassing things, only for you to find out she was actually saying them out loud. There were so many times that the situations she had herself in made me cringe, but it was just so hilarious. She was a very relatable. 

"I actually feel sorry for everyone who woke up this morning and wasn't me. Seriously. I feel sorry for you."

"What the f-- say fuck. Do it. Right now. Notice how your teeth sink into your bottom lip on the "f?" Well..that's the exact moment I pressed my mouth to his. So instead of kissing soft, puckered lips, then coaxing them apart with my tongue and swallowing his moan as I devour his mouth that tastes like whiskey and mint, even though nobody ever tastes like whiskey and mint, I end up licking his teeth. Gums too."

At first I wasn't so sure of Jake. He seemed like kind of a jerk, but it didn't take me long to change my mind. He put up with some crazy crap with Penelope, but he took it in stride. I think anyone that could put up with her antics deserved some kind of a medal or something. He was very sweet and romantic with her, even though the first time you meet him it seems like he might be the complete opposite. 

"For fuck's sake, Penelope Hart...you're making me fall in love with you."

I loved that Penelope referred to him as "that guy." She made sure to let him know when he was doing things that just wouldn't fly in a romance novel. And I loved that the book poked fun at romance books, while actually being quite sweet. Don't let the sweetness fool you though, because this is definitely a steamy read. 

"Loving you is the easiest thing I've ever done." Oh. My. God. If this were a book, that would be the most highlighted line in it. "I love you, Penelope Lane Hart. You're my That Girl."

Overall, I'm giving this book 4 STARS. I follow Kim Jones on social media and she is hilarious. I am absolutely not surprised she wrote this book, it reminds me of her in every way. The only reason I didn't go for the 5 star review here is that I just REALLY wanted more story, and maybe a little less sex. I know, I know I may be in the minority here, but sometimes I just enjoy a story so much that I wish there was a little more of it. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup