Good AND Bad reviews..thoughts?

I'm going to do something a little bit different in the blog today, I want your thoughts on reviews. Let's take a break from my normal blog review and have a discussion.
If your a reader what turns you off from a book? What plummets a book into the 1 star category for you? What makes you NOT finish a book once you have started it?


If your a blogger how do you feel when you have read a book and it just wasn't the one for you? How do you feel about having to give a "bad" review? Do you even review a book that you just didn't care for? What if it's an ARC? 


If your an author do you read the reviews? Do you visit the blogs? Do you get on goodreads and Amazon and read reviews that readers have left?


For me the number one thing as a reader that turns me off from a book is too much sex. I'm not a fan of erotica, and if I pick up a book that's under the YA or romance category, I'm not expecting it to be packed full of sex. I want some story with my sex. I want to read about the character's struggles to get to that point. I want to read about the chemistry between them, those are things that I love in a book. 


As a blogger nothing bothers me more than reading a book and not enjoying it. I don't enjoy hurting people's feelings and I know the hard work it takes to write a book. I know the time and patience a person has to have to sit down and write an entire book, so for me to pick one up and not love it, really breaks my heart. I have read several books that just haven't been my thing. When I write a review and I didn't love the book I try to find the positive things about the book that I liked and talk about those along with the things I just wasn't crazy for. I always try and mention to people that while I didn't love the book, that doesn't mean they wouldn't love the book. Things I don't really care for may be something somebody else is looking for. It is always my goal to want people to pick up a book whether I loved it or not. 


I can't speak on the author front. I am in the middle of writing my very FIRST book, so I have no thoughts and opinions on reader and blogger reviews. I just feel like if I did have a book and someone had taken the time to write an entire blog post I would want to read it. I would want to see how my writing touched someone's life so much that they took out time after they read it to express what it meant to them and what they got from it. But maybe I'm just saying that because I have a blog myself? I can't be sure. 


I don't know how others feel, but sometimes I wonder if writing my blog reviews are worth it? Do people actually come to the blog? Are they reading my reviews? Are people buying books because I highly recommended them? In the end, I just write my blog because I love it. I love to discuss a book I just read, and I'm hoping that someone else out there actually enjoys hearing my thoughts! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup