Kiss and Break Up

"There's no knife sharper than that of betrayal."

Wow. I can't wait to get into the review for this one. What a read. What an angsty, heartbreaking, steamy read. I have never read a book from Ella Fields, and I'm not sure why. I'm going to seek out some more books from her now.



"A hidden truth unearthed. It was official. I'd fallen for my best friend, and she was breaking my black fucking heart."

"Dashiell Thane wasn't a nice guy. He was an abrasive, demanding, conniving, intolerable brat. Yet somehow, we'd been best friends our whole lives. Until our senior year when I finally decided to dip my toes into the dating pool. All it took was one kiss for jealousy, lies, and betrayal to sweep in and propel us heart first into dizzying, hostile depths. You're not supposed to kiss your best friend. You're definitely not supposed to kiss your best friend while you're dating someone else. And the absolute worst thing you could do is fall for your best friend. Unless, of course, you want to ruin everything."

This book was everything. Peggy and Dash have been best friends their whole life, until Peggy decides to get a boyfriend. That's when things between them get a little muddy, and they start losing sight of friendship, lust, right, and wrong. High school is hard enough, but for Peggy having a friend like Dash made it even harder. 

"Dash Thorne wasn't capable of loving anyone but himself, and I'd do well to remember that."

I'm going to start with Dash. He was hard to love. Hell, he was hard to like. He was controlling, sneaky, and way to cocky for his own good. He never took no for an answer, and he did whatever he wanted no matter what the consequences were. He was a mess. He was not a good guy. He treated those around him like garbage, and didn't think twice about whether or not if something he was doing was going to hurt someone or not. But if you could look past all that you could see his love for Peggy ran deep. He didn't quite know how to show her his feelings the right way, but he tried to show her in the Dash way. He did some pretty awful stuff, some pretty unforgivable stuff, but you desperately wanted Peggy to forgive him, even though if this were happening to you in real life, you wouldn't want to forgive him. 

"Who the hell do you think you are?" "Yours, but apparently, it's taking some time for you to get the memo."

I really liked Peggy. For as inexperienced as she was in most things, she really stood her ground when people were doing some down right crappy things to her. She stood up for herself when the rumors were running wild through the school, and she stood up for herself when Dash did some pretty horrible things to her. She was a loyal friend, and she tried to stay positive even when it seemed like everything was falling apart around her. I think what I liked most about her was that she didn't just forgive and forget when it came to Dash. He hurt her pretty seriously, and she made sure to let him know he wasn't going to be let off the hook so easy. She made him grovel, and even then she didn't relent. She was strong for being only a senior in high school, and she had guts I wish I would have had when I was that age. 

"You already have, Freckles," he said through another bitter laugh. "Six ways from Sunday, you've fucked me, and I've yet to find anything satisfying about it."

I really enjoyed this love story, because it wasn't an easy one. The pain these two caused each other was pretty gut wrenching. I think the fact that they already loved each other so much through their life long friendship really helped them overcome all the pain. Another thing I liked about the story was that the problems they faced were actual problems that a normal teenager would have faced in high school. The bullies, the rumors, and the parties gone wrong. 

"It's going to hurt no matter what you do. But it might hurt less if you’re happy instead of holding onto every reason not to be.”


Overall, this is definitely a 5 STAR read for me. It doesn't get much better than this. 
Childhood friends. Check
Really nasty mean girls. Check
Steamy hook ups. Check
Angst amped up to 1000. Check
Pushy, arrogant, but super hot best friend. Check
Young girl that actually stands up for herself. Check. Check. Check
This is a great read, and I look forward to reading some more books by Ella Fields. She really knocked this one out of the park for me! 

"Falling in love with you has been the hardest, most exhausting, exhilarating, and wondrous thing to ever happen to me." Her finger trailed over the bridge of my nose. "Because you made sure you happened to me, Dash. And I'm so damn glad you did."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup