F*ck Marriage

I love Tarryn Fisher. If you've never read her, your missing out. She isn't my typical book, let's be real here, I enjoy a good romance, a good young adult book, and occasionally a good mystery. I wouldn't categorize her in any of those. Her books are different, they make you think, most of the time I don't care for the characters, but I can't stop reading. I really enjoy them. And F*ck Marriage was no different. She doesn't write a book that she's trying to sell, she writes what she is feeling, and it always works. 



"Two years ago, Billie Tarrow's husband left her for another woman. Shamed and divorced, Billie retreated to her family home in Port Townsend, far from her old life in New York. After a near-death encounter, Billie decides to return to the city that took everything from her. But sometimes in the midst of heartache, hope suffocates the pain. Satcher Gable has carried a torch for Billie for ten years. When she suddenly returns to New York a single woman, he can't believe his good fortune. But convincing her to walk away from her heartache is proving more difficult than Satcher anticipated. A changed woman, Billie's only goal is revenge."

"Life was pranking me, love was pranking me; Woods, he was completely fucking serious."

Billie's ex husband, Woods, cheated on her with a girl from work, a girl that Billie hired. The divorced and Billie ran. When she finally decides to move back to New York she is feeling better than ever, she has lost weight, and she's feeling more confident. She is heading to New York with a plan for revenge. She wants to make sure that those that hurt her, feel the pain she felt. That's the way it goes during the death of a marriage: the denial, the anger, the grieving, and then the inevitable purging of soul. Billie gets her old job back, hangs out with old friends, but she is still struggling with unresolved feelings for Woods, and anger for how things ended. 

"No one has a right to your happiness. It's a private thing and you have the right to defend it."

I found Billie to be so relatable. This was a person that had been through a pretty shitty heartbreak, and she had the guts to move back home, take her old job back, and worm herself back into these peoples lives. There were some times that I really wanted her to open her eyes, see the happiness that was right in front of her, but then I put myself in her shoes. I could understand why she was so angry, I could understand why she still had these unresolved feelings towards her ex. She packed up her stuff and left just days after her divorce and never really gave herself the time to heal. She moved back home and just let that anger and sadness fester, and it wasn't until she moved back "home" that she finally had to come face to face with everything. 

I loved Satcher. He was everything. He was fun, protective, loyal, and just an all around good guy. I could sense he loved Billie right away, even without reading the blurb for the book. Billie, of course, was oblivious because she was still wrapped up in Woods and his drama. Sometimes I wanted to read in the book and shake her, but then I remembered she had been through some pretty traumatic stuff, and she needed to figure all of that out first. Satcher was so patient, I don't know how or why he stuck around like he did, knowing that she was still fighting these feelings for her ex, but he was amazing. 

"We aren't meant to stay the same. Life hits us from every direction, and we build thick skin in those places..calluses. It's the way we survive."

I hated Woods, and not just because he's a cheater. I don't like to judge, and this is a book after all, but I just didn't find anything redeemable about him. It felt to me like he was only finally looking at Billie because she lost weight and wore some different clothes. He was superfical, and indecive, and it was so hard for me to read about all the love she had for him, when I found him so insufferable. Sometimes, Billie, God sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

I wouldn't quite call this book angsty or even sad. It just felt real life to me. This was a story that has happened to so many people. These feelings the characters were struggling with are so relatable, and there wasn't so much a lot of drama, but alot of real life things happening. 

Overall, I'm giving this one 5 STARS. I love Tarryn. I love her Instagram, I love her Tuesday's with Tarryn, I love her friendship with Colleen Hoover, and I adore her writing. She has a beautiful way with words that just reels you in and keeps you wanting more. I like the not so typical love stories, and the craziness that sometimes occurs in her books. Take my advice now, pick this book up, and then all her others because they aren't to be missed. She is a pretty fantastic author and person. 

*And p.s. did you check out that cover? I freaking love it. So perfect for this story.*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup