In Peace Lies Havoc

I wasn't saved by Prince Charming. I was saved by a villain, and fuck being on his warpath. 



My name is Dove Hendry. Mine is Kingston Axton. I was captured by darkness. She has always been ours...They groomed me for Midnight Mayhem. Like a trained possession, weak against their control. She has been conditioned with our blood for years. She just doesn't know it yet...But Midnight Mayhem was the stained glass that concealed a very dark culture. A culture that she is about to become the center of. The brothers of Kiznitch come in fours, and they're not happy about me being hustled into their acts. Or are we? Careful, Little Bird. A warning is a warning for a reason..Mind-tricks. Stunts. Deceit. Power. But there's something uglier that has been haunting me for years upon years. So ugly that I have never seen it's face. I never had to. I'd hear his whispers through my internal screams, feel his shadow brush against my nightmares. He was the monster that tormented me. And maybe lived under your bead..When I started Midnight Mayhem, his presence faded. His whispers were silenced. His shadow dissolving without a trace. I wondered why that was. She didn't have to wonder for long..

Holy Shit, pardon my language, but Holy Shit. This book was good. This was the first book I've ever read by Amo Jones, and holy cow have I been missing out. Are they all this fantastic? I'm a little bit speechless. Sometimes I like to make a change from the normal romance. The mushy, happily ever after type romance, and man was this the right choice. This book is dark, this book is unapologetic, but this book is absolute perfection if you want to take a trip into some "romance" that is a little more gritty. 

Intimacy is just like murder; they both make your heart race and your palms sweat while leaving your thoughts in disarray, but when you're done, you're left with the remnants of someone else's soul or blood on your hands. 

Dove was such a fantastic character. She was rough around the edges, but that was understandable, she had been through a lot in her life. While at first she seemed a little meek, one of those girls that let people walk all over her, that quickly changed. She was a spitfire. She asked whatever questions she wanted to, she let it be known when something upset her, and she didn't care what anyone thought of her. I loved the connection she had to music and dancing. The scenes where she was dancing were described so perfectly it was like I was there watching her. I liked to find the song she was dancing to while I was reading and listen to it at the same time, it really made the scene come alive for me. Her character growth was absolutely fantastic. 

What can a person say about King? He was no prince charming, he didn't claim to be. He was my favorite kind of book man. I like them to be rough around the edges, the kind of guy that you can't figure out why a girl would stick around. A guy that doesn't pretend to be some knight in shining armor. He was straight forward. He knew what he wanted, he knew how to get it, and he had no problem telling people exactly what he thought about them, he didn't care if he hurt someone's feelings, or if he pissed anyone off. While he was living in denial with his feelings for Dove, the readers weren't. He pretended like he didn't care, but his actions showed something else entirely. 

"When life has taken control of you in the form of tragic incidents, it's hard to allow something so hollow to fill the empty parts of your life."

This book won't be for everyone. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. If you like your books with sunshine and rainbows all tied up with a pretty little bow, this isn't for you. It's raw, it's ugly, and it's emotional. There isn't a "good guy." You have to be willing to love the villain. You have to be okay with falling for a guy that absolutely doesn't deserve to be loved. You have to be able to forgive people for their past sins. And I hope you like your books steamy, because WOW. 

Overall, I'm giving this one 5 STARS. I was worried when I started it. I had never read anything by Amo before, it was getting a lot of hype, and it seemed like it was going to be a little too good to be true. I'm glad I gave it a chance, because this was such a fantastic book. A book that makes you love characters that also make you feel uncomfortable, a book that is so well written the pages play out in your mind like a movie, and a book that is rough around the edges. I can't wait to read what comes next, and I can't wait to pick up another book by Amo. Bravo. 

That's the thing with King and me. We write our story in invisible ink, so no one else can read it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regretting You

Dismount

The Lineup